One Location — Less Stress
The Elder Law options available through our firm allows us an opportunity to provide a wider range of services to assist our clients with all of their legal and geriatric care needs.
Families appreciate having a law firm on their side if there are problems with public benefits agencies, care providers or estranged family members. Whether you live across the street or across the county, our Geriatric Care Manager offers welcome reassurance that you or your elderly loved one will enjoy the best possible quality of life until the end of life.
Estate Planning Services
- Healthcare Directive
- Power of Attorney
- Transfer on Death Deed or other real estate conveyance
- Asset Transfer
- Asset Protection Entities
- MA & VA Benefits Analysis
Geriatric Care Management
Our first priority is to keep our clients living in their home for as long as possible, and oftentimes legal services are not enough to serve all the needs of our elderly clients. We know that many of our elderly clients are facing challenges related to living arrangements, transportation, medical needs, family communications and/or social issues. Our Geriatric Care Manager will assist with crisis management when necessary, and will refer you to speak with a lawyer in our firm if legal needs need to be addressed.
- Initial assessment by our Geriatric Care Manager, a licensed Social Worker.
- Ongoing monitoring.
- Referrals for home modification.
- Screen, arrange and monitor in-home help.
- Manage medical care and attend appointments.
- Act as liaison to families (living near or far).
- Written Care Plan which sets forth the goals and recommendations.
- Assist with transitioning an individual to or from home to retirement, assisted living, residential care home or a nursing home if necessary.
- Advocacy, support, and guidance by our Geriatric Care Manager while at home, in the hospital, in rehabilitation, or in an alternative care setting.
- Support with financial and legal concerns as well as public benefits application.
Laurel Hed obtained her degree in Social Work at Mankato State University in 1995. For the first few years Laurel worked as a nursing home Social Worker.
Laurel and her husband, Loren, lived in Gaylord, MN for 28 years where they raised their three children. The children are all grown and married and have blessed Laurel and her husband with ten grandchildren. In 2003 Laurel and Loren moved to their home on Palmer Lake and Laurel has spent the past 13 years working as a Hospice Social Worker for St. Joseph’s Hospice and a Caregiver Support Coach with the Living at Home program both of the Park Rapids area.
In 2013 Laurel became a Certified Geriatric Care Manager.
Laurel continues to work as a Caregiver Support Coach with the Living at Home program and is now employed with Thomason, Swanson and Zahn, PLLC as a Geriatric Care Manager.